Sunday, November 8, 2015

Nov. 2- Dia de los Muertos

Mi Querida Familia,
I had an amazing week! Life with a new companion has been pretty interesting, and I havent laughed this much in... 4 months;) Hermana Johnson is just flat HILARIOUS and I am so grateful to have her. She is very spiritually mature and her spanish is awesome, but she is awkward just like me and it has been a fun week:) One day we were walking in the street and there was a man making a tope.. which is a speed bump.. anyways, so he was almost done with forming the wet concrete into a pretty little speed bump when we crossed and I stepped over it, but Hermana Johnson wasnt paying attention and she STEPPED RIGHT THROUGH IT!!  It was hilarious. She destroyed it. She apologized and needless to say we did not contact that man, we dont want him to know we have connection to the church;) 

I also have never had problem with dogs until this week, maybe they are against white people? We have been chased and barked and scared more than a few times this week and I am losing affection for those furry friends. 
I don't know if it has just been the aftermath of hurricane patricia, but we had rain a few days this week and it has been AWESOME!! I love the coolness and the difference it makes in the days. That is something that I think would be hard about living in a place like Mexico for always- the weather is ALWAYS THE SAME. In Utah, and every other place I've lived, there are distinct seasons that reflect the time of year and the holidays and events. But here its like Winter- Hot, Spring- Hottest Hot, Summer- Still really hot, and Fall- Hot. There ya have it;) 
This weekend was always Dia de los Muertos! Remember when I told you about September 15-16 and how they usually have more than one day for their holidays because they party hard here? Well, its the same for Halloween. The 31st was the day they actually call Halloween and then November 1 & 2 are the days of the dead. They believe that those days are when the dead can leave the grave and visit their families, so everyone is in the graveyards, and they make shrines in their houses for their dead loved ones, and they make food offerings. Also, the kids dress up and ask for candy all the nights, jaja. I feel like that is the only reason I'd be good with it lasting three days. 

Well, I love you so much and my prayers are with you:) We have a couple of investigators who are really progressing well and it has been amazing to see them recognize the blessings that have come into their life thanks to this message. One of the things they almost ALWAYS notice that they find is peace. That is the message we bring:) That it really is possible to have peace in this life and joy in the next. What peace does the gospel bring to your life?:) 
-Hermana Swallow  

No comments:

Post a Comment